Hans Namuth Film of Jackson pollock


When considering the actual physicality of mark making I have felt myself being drawn to this film made by Hans Namuth of Jackson Pollock painting. There is an interesting tension that arise by seeing the process, particularly with Pollock who has taken on an almost mythological presence in the history of art, but in this film the mythology is stripped back and we see the man in his process, his energy, concentration, momentum, and confidence in movement are plainly visible, but I also feel there is something in this voyeurism that puts me on edge.

For me, I find that my making process is a very personal experience that I feel by revealing is slightly terrifying. I wander if this fear is because of a confidence issue or something more disturbing, do I want to keep a sense of illusion in my work so that I might create some sort of illusion in the process of my work.

Comments

Popular Posts