erasing

The next stage in developing the freedom of movement in my drawing processes was to introduce erasing. Though it may seem like quite a simple concept I found myself really excited by this idea. in my previous practice I had gotten to the point where I was so precious about my works, at times rejecting works that had taken weeks to create if, for example one dot of ink had strayed to far outside the border that the circles provided. this perfectionist aspect of my creative practice has too go!

With erasing there is a sense of liberation, the destructiveness of obliterating marks is very exciting but with the obliteration there is also a sense of new opportunity and transformation. where before my practice would exist on a single plane, all marks laid out seperately, neat and tidy, with the small moments of chance visible, with the eraing those moments of chance are over taken by grander bold actions that extend the chance to greater effect.

With these two works I first made a surface of cross hatched lines, ignoring the parameters that I had previous used, create a sea of actions interwining and made with urgency, then subverting the mark making process of my previous practice, I decided to obliterate rather than make marks.

though this was an enjoyable act I do not think there is very much that is gained from these particular works. they function as an opposition to the position of my previous practice but I felt that the element of chance spoken about earlier could be explored in a much more active way...... 


Patrick Milsom
Erasing.
2014
Pencil and eraser on paper

Patrick Milsom
Erasing, Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3.
2014
Pencil and eraser on paper.


Comments

Popular Posts