SW10 The Contemporary London Exhibition 8th January 2015

 The Beginning and End of a Chaotic Process.
2014
Acrylic on Canvas.

 During January I exhibited a painting with the Contemporary London, Who have been a major part of in the development of my professional practice so far. The show was held in the new gallery space Space W10 in London. The show itself was a group show which featured many of the other excellent artists that work with The Contemporary London.

I was quite nervous about exhibiting this work as it is my first major departure from my previous practice, though it still holds the same parameters as the previous work, in that the painting was constructed using one action( a brush stroke) which then decided what would happen next, then those actions informed the next, rather than using marks that could be differentiated clearly I choose to allowed marks to merge through the material quality of the paint and as these interactions reacted and layered on top of one another I built on these relationships, developing into a surface that became rather illusory. using the circle as a border to contain the action I tried to keep the essence of system and process visable to a certain extent and rather than focusing on an absolute outcome the work was played out and finished instinctively.

The departure from the standard model of my previous practice that this painting allowed is in some respects where the catalyst of my MA project comes from. I allowed myself to explore a new physical experience but retaining to some degree the parameters of my previous practice but by approaching the process with a new material (Paint) the artwork quickly transformed into a new entity. The characteristics of this painting are more relatable to the emerging images. I dont feel that this painting is necessarily part of tthe project as it is quite a significant departure from the element of process that I would define as a causal drawing process but I believe that it serves as an interesting beginning point for what my project is attempting to do, that being a methodological exploration of developing the causal mark making of my previous practice, which is made in a very controlled physical and mental experience into a more naturalistic way of mark making that is open to the instinctual variables  of human experience during an extend time period.

I also found during the experience of visiting the exhibition and viewing this painting after an extended period of not seeing the painting that i was relatively underwhelmed. I m not entirely sure why but I feel that just viewing an artwork in the traditional sense of being hung in a white room is not as satisfying as I would like it to be. I suppose that by trying to express the inexpressible emotional experience that comes with making, and the technique applied in making this artwork, where the process of making is hidden through the painting technique; very watered down acrylic built up over time and the marks being allowed to blend together, therefore does not clearly specify the physical process then eliminates the opportunity of contemplating the emotional experience.

Again, this is important in that this painting is not part of the project but this is an important aspect for my project, the physical experience of making will accentuate the emotional contemplation.

 
 

http://thecontemporarylondon.com/events/view/tcl-space-w10

Comments

Popular Posts