Impressions of Music: Packa Quarta Quarta

I found with these music as impression works that the use of music is slightly problematic. by revealing the actual music that is used to create the works there is a sense of alienation, I don't like the idea that because some who view these works will not know the music that acts as stimulus they have a barrier that disconnects them from the work. which I believe is unacceptable.

from this consideration rather than immediately removing the presence of music from this series of experiments I decided that it might be interesting to push this alienation even further. throughout my life I have been involved with making music in different ways. As a teenager I was in a lot of bands, playing live frequently, which was mainly as a singer, though I never really learnt the lyrics to our songs, instead just wailing and shouting whilst throwing myself around on stage when performing live. then whilst at university myself and two friends would make improvised music, which again was a lot of fun, we played live quite frequently which was the horror of all that saw us performing. and in recent years I have made music alone our in collaboration using computer programs.

there is definitely a strong link between my musical interests and artistic practice. in which improvisation and experimentation are the main features.

returning to my original point, I decided try the drawing process using music that I had been involved with making, this in some respects pushes the element of alienation much further as very few people will of heard this music, and the music is limited in availability thus I do not necessarily need to cite it.

I also feel that I feel a lot less restrained in my actions whilst in the drawing process as this music is in some respects an extension of the ddrawing process itself.


The first work following this logic was an impression of "Sunbeam, Your Cars on Fire." which was a piece made by Packa Quarta Quarta, the group I was involved with at university.









Comments

Popular Posts